In celebrating Chef Manuel's heritage, we commenced our Taste's of Asia promotion this spring and will continue to run a variety of delicious Asian specials for just $15 Monday to Friday lunch time. Infused with North & South East Asian flavours, vibrant colours, and aromatic spices, we have carefully chosen one of our favourite special items to showcase this week. For the best ever Mongolian Beef stir fry. See the recipe here:
Mongolian Beef Serves 4
500g Striploin beef 2 tbsp vegetable oil 3 tbsp cornstarch
2 shallots sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 bunch baby buk choy, trimmed & halved length ways
Marinade 1 tbsp ginger finely sliced 3 cloves of garlic minced 1 tsp Chinese five spice 1 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
1/3 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup brown sugar Garnish (optional) 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds 1 shallot sliced into 1 inch pieces
1. Cutting against the grain, slice Striploin into thin bite sized slices, season with salt and pepper.
2. Coat the steak pieces thoroughly and evenly in cornstarch, then set aside.
3. Heat a fry pan or wok over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of vegetable oil. Sauté the ginger, garlic, and five spice until they become fragrant.
4. Add Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, water, and brown sugar to the skillet, bringing to a boil until the sugar dissolves completely. Transfer the sauce into a jug and set it aside for later use.
5. Return the wok to the heat, adding more oil if needed. Place the steak in the skillet and sear it until achieving an even, golden brown on both sides.
6. Now, reintroduce the sauce to the skillet, stirring it in with the meat. Allow the sauce to thicken, adding the shallots & baby buk choy. Continue to simmer until the sauce reaches a thick consistency.
7. Serve over steamed Jasmine rice. Garnish with sesame seeds & remaining shallots.
Enjoy your meal!